Executive summary of the project:
iencias A ntárticas, LAFCA Aboratorio L C F River iencias A ntárticas, LAFCA
Recent climate changes globally have demonstrated the urgency of properly understand the evolution and dynamics of the Antarctic continent and its associated systems. Chile has been slow to respond to these challenges, there is therefore the need to promote our efforts in research and development in Antarctic issues to fill the large gap in our scientific community.
Antarctic Programme Directorate Magallanes University proposes building a cold laboratory for the purpose of making multidisciplinary scientific and technological research in a controlled environment of low temperatures. The primary purpose of these facilities will: help develop new techniques and technologies in the remote sensing area on the ice, conduct experiments physical, chemical and biological processes in ice, and facilitate the analysis and storage of ice cores in Antarctica and other cold places nearby. Thus, this laboratory would be a strong impetus to Antarctic research and significantly reduce research costs of land in the area.
- This project will have a strong impact on the University of Magallanes greatly increasing Antarctic research topics, and allow the formation of new scientists in the area. The laboratory will become a substantial part of the new academic programs in science and Antarctic studies of this university. The cold lab creation of unique in Latin America, will make the University of Magallanes in Antarctic research leadership at the national and South America.
- Punta Arenas will become a destination point for Antarctic research leaders and not, as now, a mere whereabouts on his way to the white continent. This change will increase the academic and retaining young talent in the region.
- At the level of the Magallanes region, will become the engine of progress to build the bridge between the Antarctic continent and regional development issues.
- Nationally and internationally, the cold laboratory will supply the need for such facilities close to the Antarctic continent to conduct cutting-edge research on the subject. Thanks to its location, this lab will be preferred by scientists seeking to reduce the costs of their projects, this would provide multidisciplinary and international research.
- The main objective of this proposal is to build and implement a Science Laboratory Cold Antarctic, that expand and research studies Antarctic and Sub-Antarctic at the University of Magallanes.
Although the Cold Laboratory is designed in the context of multidisciplinary research to Antarctica, you will be able to identify specific objectives for each of the research groups
- Radioglaciología and Remote Sensing
- It covers the funding application for the construction of the building and implementation of the labs
- The University of Magallanes in turn contribute to the staff, operating expenses and terrain.